Master Plans and Projects
Welcome to the website dedicated to Master Plans and special projects for the Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Arts Department. Within this page, you will be able to view project information, learn more about the various projects within the department, and submit questions to City staff.
Our projects and initiatives are based on the 2019 Bond Program and with your input via surveys and public meetings, which assisted in developing our 2019 Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts Master Plan.
Click on the tabs to view the project details.
- Winters Park Sports Field Lighting
- Dog Park
- Recreation Centers
- Carter Complex Parking Lot
WINTERS PARK LIGHTING
The first project from Garland’s $117 million (for Parks) 2019 bond program is officially completed. The new LED field lights went live for the first night games of the youth soccer season on February 24, 2020, at Winters Park.
The Central Park Dog Park project is currently under construction and is located at the former Texas Air National Guard Armory site at Glenbrook Drive and 9th Street. The dog park will be 3 acres and will have three fenced dog areas to allow all dogs to roam off-leash.
View the Final Dog Park Approved Concept (PDF).
AUDUBON RECREATION CENTER EXPANSION
Audubon Rec Center will be under construction soon (TBD) and will feature a complete building renovation and 5,000 square foot expansion, including a fitness area, improvements to multi-purpose rooms, restrooms, storage, lobby, control desk, site improvements, exterior patio, and a canopy at entrance doors. Download the Audubon Recreation Center Expansion rendering (PDF).
GRANGER RECREATION CENTER RENOVATION
Granger Rec Center project was completed in 2019 with a complete building renovation, including a new fitness area, multi-purpose rooms, restrooms, storage, offices, lobby, control desk, and complete gym renovation with two full basketball courts.
One of the key findings in our 2019 Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts Master Plan was the need for more playgrounds and improvements to existing. Below you find playground projects underway.
Central Park Playground - Download the Central Park playground renderings (PDF). View the Central Park Playground video (YouTube) and virtually walk through the renderings. For more about the park, visit the Central Park page.
CARTER SOFTBALL COMPLEX PARKING LOT RENOVATION
The Carter Softball Complex Parking Lot project is currently under construction and is located at the Audubon Park. For more about the park, visit the Audubon Park page.
Master Plans and Surveys
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts Strategic Master Plan
- View the complete 2019 Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts Department Master Plan (PDF).
Trails and Bikeways Master Plan & Interactive Map
- Take the Trails Survey and the Interactive Map on the Trails Master Plan page.
Rick Oden Park Master Plan and Skatepark Plan & Surveys
- The development phase of Rick Oden Park and the Skatepark is currently underway. More updates are coming soon.
Garland Aquatics Master Plan & Survey
- The Aquatics Master Plan is underway. This project is focused on identifying the needs of all of our pools and aquatic facilities throughout our parks system. In 2019, you voted and awarded $20 million dollars to be allocated for Aquatics Facilities in the City of Garland’s 2019 Bond Program. More updates are coming soon.
City of Garland 2019 Bond Program
- Visit and review the complete allocation of funds on the City of Garland 2019 Bond Program page.