Temporary Parklet Program
The City of Garland has enacted the Temporary Parklet Program to provide businesses the option to employ the parklet concept as a means to expand their service area and mitigate the COVID-19 seating capacity limits. The Temporary Parklet Program ends 30 days after the Governor’s COVID-19 disaster orders have ended. The Planning Department developed and formalized the permitting process outlined below for Garland businesses interested in setting up a temporary parklet in the right-of-way.
Need some design inspiration? Check out some ideas here.
Step 1: Complete and submit a Temporary Parklet Eligibility Checklist Form
The parklet sponsor (applicant) must complete and submit a Temporary Parklet Eligibility Checklist Form prior to completing and submitting the Temporary Parklet Application. The Temporary Parklet Eligibility Checklist Form and submittal instructions can be found here.
Step 2: Complete and submit a Temporary Parklet Application
Once the eligibility of a site has been determined, City staff will email the parklet sponsor instructions on how to submit the Temporary Parklet Application along with all the required supporting documents listed on said application. All parklet designs are required to comply with the Parklet Design Standards found in the Temporary Parklet Manual. The Temporary Parklet Application, Temporary Parklet Manual, and submittal instructions can be found here
Step 3: Parklet License Agreement
Once the Temporary Parklet Application is approved, the Planning Department will email the parklet sponsor instructions on how to execute a Parklet License Agreement. Applicants must comply with the Engineering Department licensing agreement requirements.
Step 4: Issuance Of Permit and Scheduling of Field Inspections
Once a Parklet License Agreement is executed, the Planning Department will email the parklet sponsor instructions on how to obtain the Temporary Parklet Permit and schedule the field inspections. Please note that a $125.00 fee will be required.
Term of the Temporary Parklet Permits
• Each permit shall be issued for a maximum of 90-days with the option to extend the permit for additional 90-day periods.
• Only one application is required; however, each permit extension must be requested in writing to the Planning Department by no later than (10) working days prior to the end of each 90-day period. Once a written request is received, the Planning Department will initiate a brief department review to determine if an extension will be issued. A permit extension will be considered provided there are no issues or violations, and such extension may be subject to additional requirements and/or restrictions. Permit extension requests must be submitted via email to Planning@GarlandTX.gov
• All active permits will automatically expire at the end of the Temporary Parklet Program.
• The permit will be null and void, if all stipulations and requirements are not met including complying with the design of the parklet as approved by the City.
• Contact the Planning Department at Planning@GarlandTX.gov regarding any amendments to an approved application.
• All elements of the parklet must be removed within three (3) business days after the expiration of the permit or within three (3) business days after the cessation of the business associated with the permit; whichever occurs first.